Popular Posts

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What does the name of your blog mean??

Choosing a name for your blog is a daunting task considering in the beginning you are not completely sure what it will always be about.  On a recent road trip with my daughter, Brynn, we threw around ideas and the name Pearls and Roses just seemed to be the one.  It is my Mother's first and middle name and since she is the person who inspired me, and taught me that you should never be afraid to try something new, it just seemed fitting for it to be dedicated to her.  I can remember when I was growing up the big thing was... Macrame.  She made owls, and hanging plant holders, and I think she even made a hanging glass table.  There was also the time she dabbled in ceramics and made all of these beautiful Hummel knock-offs, and Christmas tchochkes .  She made my clothes when I was little, painted our home, and basically never sat down.  And I've grown up to be just like her, well minus the clothes making, pillows, and curtains but no fashion comes out of my sewing machine.  


The other similarity with the name Pearls and Roses is that essentially who doesn't love to take something ugly and turn it into something beautiful.  But, of course there will be some thorns a long the way but it is worth the blood, sweat and tears when the rose finally blooms.  I hope to see some of your rose gardens, so please post pictures.  Until next time, here is a few of the makeovers I have just completed.  I will include details as soon as I can.




$4 Thrift Shop Find that I made into a nightstand for my granddaughter, Skyler, using homemade chalk paint.  I forgot to take the true before shot, which is where it was faded brown oak stain with water ring damage on top.  The top pic is the after with a coat of poly wax to seal it good.


This is a smoking table my grandfather made when he was in school in the 1920's.  I know a lot of you are thinking that I ruined this antique but, I love the way it looks now and I would never sell it because of the sentimental value.  Plus, I think my grandfather paid me a visit while I was refinishing it.  I finished sanding and turned off my palm sander, walked over to the table and wiped it down and as I started spraying the primer on, the sander turned on all by itself from across the room.  Who knows maybe this blog will turn more into something from Ghost Hunters?

Oh, and now for my favorite...My Grandfather Clock ( made by my Dad, not my grandfather).  Please disregard the huge pile of junk next to it.  This picture was taken during the recent wildfires in South Texas and I had a bunch of things on stand-by next to the front door in case we had to evacuate at a moment's notice.




I also used chalk paint for this project too, not Annie Sloan's but my homemade mixture of latex satin and plaster of paris dry mix.  It reminds me of cake batter when it is in the best form.  I glazed it with Martha Stewart's glaze mixed with some Behr Black satin latex.  It really gave it an aged look.  I actually got it working for about a week but it has went back to sleep for now.

 Now that the kiddos are back in school I better begin the BIG clean-up after everyone has been here for the past two weeks.  
Wish me luck!


No comments:

Post a Comment